1. Born in the late 1800s, she dressed as a man from an early age to enjoy greater freedom.
2. She spend much of her life in Africa exploring the desert. She married an Algerian soldier, Slimane Ehnni in 1901.
3. Sadly, she died in a flash flood when she was only 27 after a clay home she was staying in collapsed.
4. She was portrayed by Matilda May in the 1991 film "Isabelle Eberhardt."
5. An opera composed by Missy Mazzoli, "Song from the Uproar: The Lives and Deaths of Isabelle Eberhardt", premiered in New York City in 2012.